The Lion Inn

The earliest date we have for the Lion Inn operating as a pub is when Richard Smith is listed in the 1871 census as being an innkeeper on the Axminster Road.  The Hand and Spear, also on the Axminster Road is listed separately, so Richard Smith is likely to be running what became the Lion Inn.  Henry Wood took over as publican in about 1875 and this is the first we hear of the name “Lion Inn”.  It is referred to as a “beer-house”.

The Lion Inn continued to operate as public house until 1958. Thereafter it became a residential dwelling and was eventually renamed “Lion Cottage”, as we know it today.

The full story of the Lion Inn will follow shortly, meanwhile the following are available: –

Please Login to Comment.